The Next Step

Many people wonder what to do once they have been accused of a crime. For most, it is scary, confusing and can lead to a lot questions. It is important to consult with an attorney right away. When you contact Attorney Patel, she will sit down with you, face to face, and walk you through the process, to minimize the anxiety a criminal case can cause to your life. She will go over your case with you, including the police report, witnesses and potential motions. Attorney Patel will talk to you about the legal issues and potential consequences so that you are fully aware of what is going on before your court date. It is important to Attorney Patel to build a relationship with her clients, to earn their trust, and attain the best outcome possible for her clients.


I Have A Warrant. Can The Police Come Get Me From My Home?

Technically they can but this is not always the case. If you have an arrest warrant, it is to notify you that charges have been filed against you because you either were not given a citation or they changed your citation date without you knowing. A bench warrant, on the other hand, means you were ordered to appear in court and failed to appear. Either way, if you have a warrant, the most important thing to do is contact an attorney who can get your case put on calendar immediately to clear the warrant. I always tell my clients, “if you walk through the door, you are more likely to walk out the door than if you wait until you are picked up on the warrant.”

Am I Going To Jail or Prison?

Not necessarily. Not all convictions result in custody time (ie jail or prison) and even if custody is
required, often it can be converted into house arrest, community labor, community service or a
fine. If those options are not available, a good attorney can negotiate for a different charge to
avoid jail or prison time.

Can I Still Get A Job With A Conviction?

It will be more difficult to get a job with a felony conviction or a misdemeanor conviction that is a crime of moral turpitude, than with a misdemeanor that is not a crime of moral turpitude. Generally, a crime of moral turpitude is a crime that involves fraud. It is your attorney’s job to negotiate for a charge that avoids convictions that will affect employment. You can also hire an attorney to expunge your record once you are done with probation which removes the conviction from your record.

I Called The Police But I Did Not Want The Person I Reported To Go To Jail Or Be Charged.

This is more common than you think. Many people call the police not realizing that once the police are called, the police can file a report and send it to the prosecutor, who then decides whether or not to file charges. All of which can happen without your knowledge or permission. In these cases, an attorney is very helpful to contact the police and prosecutor on your behalf and potentially avoid charges for the reported person.

What Is The Difference Between An Infraction, A Misdemeanor And A Felony?

An infraction is the least serious of the offenses. It is not considered a criminal conviction on your record. The consequences of an infraction are a fine and no probation, however failure to pay the fine can result in a misdemeanor.
A misdemeanor is more serious than an infraction but not as serious as a felony. The consequences for a misdemeanor can be fine, up to one year in county jail and informal probation. Some counties require a DNA sample. A felony is the most serious of the three. The consequences for a felony can be a fine, up to a year in county jail or more than a year in prison, formal probation, and a DNA sample.

Can My Child Be Convicted Of A Crime

Children between the ages of 11 and 18 can be accused of offenses and brought before a judge, commissioner or referee in Delinquency Court. The minor, however, is not found guilty or not guilty. Instead, the allegations against the minor are found to be true or not true or the petition (the charging document) is found to be sustained or denied. That means, in Delinquency Court, the minor is never “convicted” of a crime.